Are you thinking about getting a new credit card for the new year? Before you do anything, make sure you check out US News My Money’s list of the best credit card rewards. When used responsibly, these picks can help you with your financial goals and make life a little bit easier as you continue adjusting to the “new normal.”
Best Credit Card For The New Normal
Chase Freedom Flex
You might cook at home, order delivery services, or shop online more than you ever have. And you’re not alone. In response to consumers’ changing habits, Chase reworked its rewards program for the Freedom Flex to benefit cardholders’ new spending habits.
With the Chase Freedom Flex, you can earn…
- 5% cash back on the first $12,000 you spend on groceries during your first year
- 3% cash back on takeout and delivery
- 5% cash back on the first $1,500 you spend each quarter on rotating categories, including Amazon, Whole Foods, and Walmart
- 5% cash back when you book your travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3% cash back at the drugstore
- 1% on all other purchases
Additionally, you can qualify for a $200 welcome bonus when you spend $500 in the first three months of account opening. The Chase Freedom Flex has no annual fee and offers zero APR for your first 15 months, then 14.99% to 23.74%, depending on your creditworthiness.
Best For Frequent Fliers
Chase Sapphire Preferred
The Chase Sapphire Preferred card consistently ranks high as one of the best travel credit cards thanks to its generous rewards, competitive rates, and no foreign transaction charges.
When you use your card to book your next flight, you don’t have to worry about blackout dates or travel limitations. When you redeem your points, it’s a 1-to-1 transfer for popular airlines and hotels around the country.
In addition, you can enjoy other rewards, including:
- Two points for every dollar you spend on travel, dining, takeout, and qualifying delivery purchases
- Free delivery on orders over $12 with a DoorDash DashPass subscription
- Two points on the first $1,000 you spend each month at the supermarket until the end of April 2021
- Five points for every dollar you spend on Lyft services
- One point for every dollar spent on all other purchases
As a bonus for new cardholders, Chase will also give you 60,000 points when you spend $4,000 in the first three months you open an account. There’s a $95 annual fee and a purchase APR of 15.99% to 22.99% depending on your credit.
Best Travel Credit Card
Capital One Venture Rewards
You can enjoy unmatched flexibility with the Capital One Venture Rewards card. With it, you can earn miles for your favorite airline, hotel, rental car company, and much more. And if you’re traveling abroad, you don’t have to worry about foreign transaction fees.
Here’s what to expect from the Capital One Venture Rewards credit card:
- Two miles for every dollar you spend — no matter the category
- No limits on the rewards you can earn
- Up to $100 statement credit for Global Entry
Life is complicated enough without having to deal with an elaborate credit card rewards program. The Capital One Venture Rewards card makes things a little easier. It also helps to know that you can get 100,000 bonus miles when you spend $20,000 within 12 months of account opening. If that limit’s a little high, you can get 50,000 if you spend $3,000 in the first three months. This card comes with a $95 annual fee and a variable APR of 17.24% to 24.49%.
Best Balance Transfer Credit Card
Citi Diamond Preferred
If paying off your debt is your New Year’s resolution, then look no further than the Citi Diamond Preferred. This balance transfer is an excellent way to consolidate your debt and pay no interest during the introductory period — including purchases.
What else does this card have to offer? Take a look:
- Get 0% APR on balance transfers for 18 months
- Get 0% APR on purchases for 18 months
- Pay either $5 or 3% of the amount of your transfer
Once you’re out of debt, this card makes a great all-purpose credit card for purchases. When the introductory period is over, you’ll pay 14.74% to 24.74% APR, depending on your credit, and you never pay an annual fee.
Best Cash Back Credit Card
Chase Freedom Flex
US News My Money put this card at the top of its list to help consumers adjust to the new normal thanks to its generous cash back rewards, which includes:
- 5% cash back on the first $12,000 you spend at the supermarket during your first year
- 3% cash back on delivery and takeout
- 5% cash back on the first $1,500 you spend each quarter in rotating categories, including Amazon, Whole Foods, and Walmart
- 5% cash back when you use the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal to book your next trip
- 3% cash back at the drug store
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
Plus, when you spend $500 in the first three months you have your card, you can earn $200. You pay no annual fee and can enjoy 0% APR for 15 months, then 14.99% to 23.74% after that.
- Harzog, Beverly. “U.S. News & World Report’s Best Credit Card Awards for 2021.” U.S. News & World Report, U.S. News & World Report, 8 Dec. 2020, creditcards.usnews.com/articles/us-news-and-world-reports-best-credit-card-awards-for-2021.